Fishing, lakes and rivers
With a large network of rivers, Conflent is a corner of paradise for those who are passionate about fishing or nature. Amidst the sumptuous landscape and benefitting from a clement climate, there is water everywhere, abundant with fish. Here, wild trout reigns.
Practical information and the environment
The crystal clear water, silvery water falls, rivers and mountain lakes offer everyone, beginner or expert, a variety of fishing experiences: fly-fishing, line fishing, bait fishing, angling, fishing with worms...
The lake at Prades, and the Vinça dam, lend themselves to beginners or family fishing while the more serious fisherman may prefer to fish in the river. There are some catch and release areas, and other areas of the region which combine sport, nature and leisure.
Christophe Idre, a champion
Prades has its own fishing champion, Christophe Idre, who learnt to fish on the Têt and has taken part in competitions since he was 17 years old. Member of a group of sporting fishermen from Conflent, he joined the French team in 1998. Champion of France in 2003, he has been France’s premier fly-fisher by PSM classification (a professional association for fishermen in France) for several years. His 12 selections into the French team for the European and World Championships have allowed him to win gold four times and to travel all over Europe, New Zealand and Australia.
Christophe now passes on his passion and know-how to young people and helps them follow their dreams.
The Association Agréée de Pêche et de Protection du Milieu Aquatique (AAPMA - a French association for regulating fishing and protecting bodies of water and waterways), with offices at the Vinça town hall is in charge of the following bodies of water:
- The Têt from the Eus bridge to the dam
- The lake at Escoumes
- The Lentilla
- The Llech
- The Gloriances
The association restocks the three rivers, from April to June, each year.
Annual Fishing Card: interfederal, adults, discovery for women, 12 to 18 years old, under 12. Possibility of weekly or daily cards. You can obtain it on www.cartedepeche.fr or at the following resellers:
- Pêche loisirs 66 à Prades : 04 68 96 21 17
- France Rurale à Prades : 04 68 96 44 88
- Mairie de Ria : 04 68 96 36 00
- Centre médical à Olette : 04 68 97 15 84
- Boucherie chez Alex à Olette : 04 68 96 09 42
- Bar chez Jean-Louis à Vernet-les-Bains : 04 68 05 54 04
- Tabac Presse à Marquixanes : 04 68 05 23 93
- La Presse à Vinça : 04 68 96 18 70
- Office de Tourisme Conflent Canigó, antenne de Prades : 04 68 05 41 02
- Office de Tourisme Conflent Canigó, antenne de Molitg-les-Bains : 04 68 05 03 28
- Office de Tourisme Conflent Canigó, antenne de Vernet-les-Bains : 04 68 05 55 35
- Office de Tourisme Conflent Canigó, antenne de Villefranche-de-Conflent : 04 68 96 22 96
- Office de Tourisme Conflent Canigó, antenne de Vinça : 04 68 97 04 38
Fishing periods in the Pyrénées-Orientales
For waterways containing salmonides, fishing is open from Saturday, March the 11th until the 17th of September: Vinça Dam, every day during the authorized period; Vinça’s Lac des Escoumes and Prades artificial Lake: Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays and statutory holidays during the authorized period.
Mountain lakes of Nohèdes and Evol, fishing is open from the 27th of May to the 1st of October on Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays and statutory holidays; Climens Pond (Nohèdes) every day during such period.
Olette private artificial lake: fishing for the day without fishing licence, rod loan.
Fédération départementale des Pyrénées Orientales pour la pêche et la protection des milieux aquatiques (Departmental Federation for the Eastern Pyrenees for Fishing and Protection of Water Areas)
Tel. 00 33 (0)4 68 66 88 38